The best place to live is one that offers decent living standards and is safe and affordable at the same time. And that’s where the trick is: if you want to take advantage of excellent living conditions and well-developed infrastructure, it does not come for free, so the place will be less affordable. At the same time, safety costs something as well. It practically means that when you choose a Caribbean island to live on, it would be wrong to simply opt for the cheapest destination as you will hardly get what you want. In this post, we will discuss some good Caribbean options. However, if you are interested in living in a tropical paradise (or even becoming its citizen), do not hesitate to find out more details on how Caribbean islands may offer a cost-effective lifestyle on a trusted portal.
Best Caribbean Islands: Our Choice
The majority of Central American countries are Spanish-speaking, with Belize being the only English-speaking country in the region – and this may be important for you. The island is home to many expats and digital nomads, so you will easily integrate into the local community. And if you enjoy history, you will be happy to explore the heart of the ancient Mayan civilization.
Quick facts about Belize:
- You will not have to spend exorbitant amounts on food as most dishes cost USD 20.
- If you choose to buy exported food or goods, they may be quite expensive.
- Real estate purchase and rental are as easy as they can possibly be, so you can invest in local property to enjoy minimum risks and a short payback period.
- You can live in Belize even if you are on a tight budget: use Airbnb offers or find affordable hotel rooms at 30 to 40 US dollars per night.
- Reach the country by taking a plane from the US at 150 US dollars.
- You adore unity with nature? Belize is the right place to be!
- A couple will need about 2,000 US dollars to live in Belize comfortably.
This is a rapidly developing economy mainly focused on tourists and financial services. The Dominican Republic is a popular place for those who need a residence permit as the document does not cost very much and you can obtain it without effort. And if you are interested in buying real estate, you are sure to find affordable options here.
Quick facts about the Dominican Republic:
- A couple will need approximately 1,800 US dollars to live here. The Dominican Republic is an excellent place to live with affordable cuisine as a bonus.
- You can have a meal at 10 US dollars or a little more in a local restaurant.
- The cost of a hotel room starts from 30 US dollars.
- You can get here by plane from the USA at 100 US dollars if you use special offers or low-cost flights.
Need a higher level of comfort and safety than you can find on average in the Caribbean? Curacao is the right destination thanks to its close ties with the Netherlands. We can hardly call it the cheapest Caribbean island, but you can find affordable cafes and accommodation if you try. Curacao caters to all kinds of tourists: those who love an active rest and those who enjoy lying on the beach will be equally happy.
Quick facts about Curacao:
- If you want to have an inexpensive lunch, you will find what you want in local restaurants (USD 20 per person will be enough). We highly recommend them as the Caribbean cuisine is really delicious! If you prefer international restaurants, they will be a little more expensive.
- Accommodation is not that cheap. However, you can still find an affordable hotel or hostel at 30 US dollars per night.
- You can take a flight from the US here at 200 US dollars.
- You can visit Curacao in any season as the weather here is good all year round!
- If you enjoy watersports, you will find everything you need on the island.
- Finally, if you don’t like crowded beaches, Curacao is definitely the destination for you as you will not find many people by the seaside.
Puerto Rico, also known as the Island of Enchantment, is a place where you can buy rum at an extremely low price as the country produces a great quantity of this strong alcoholic drink. If you want to live in a country with a great number of places of interest, this is a poor choice. However, this is a great option if you are seeking a Caribbean place with the best overall characteristics! Stunning natural landscapes are sure to make you fall in love with this marvelous destination.
Quick facts about Puerto Rico:
- The prices in restaurants are pretty much the same as in the rest of the Caribbean: you can have a good lunch for two for USD 40.
- If you love bars, you will surely find something to suit your taste!
- Want a low-priced accommodation? You’d better seek it closer to the island center as the hotels near the beach charge at least USD 50 per night.
- Fly to Puerto Rico from the US at USD 125 or take special offers to save on the cost of the flight.
Want to enjoy numerous places of interest and breathtaking flower fields? Welcome to Grenada! You will love its tropical rainforests, nutmeg plantations, and hot springs. The nearby underwater volcano warms the water in some basins to about 35 degrees!
Quick facts about Grenada:
- Love Caribbean food? It will not cost much in Grenada: you can have a three-course meal for 20 US dollars or even find a place off the tourist track where the same menu may cost half that price!
- You will find a lot of low-priced alcohol here (1-2 dollars per bottle of beer), and cocktails with local ingredients cost almost nothing.
- Need inexpensive accommodation? You’d better find it on Airbnb before you arrive. If you decide to look for a place to live on-site, it will be much more expensive in most cases.
- The plane ticket from the US costs 200 US dollars (or even twice higher than that in high season), but special offers and discounts are often available.